Classic chili is stepped up in this flavour-packed recipe that uses sirloin steak, spices, and jalapenos.
- 1 kg or 2 lb sirloin steak
- 10 ml or 2 tsp vegetable oil
- 125 ml or 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 625 ml or 2 1/2 cups beef broth
- 1 can (796 ml/28 oz) diced tomatoes
- 1 can (398 ml/14 oz) tomato sauce
- 15 ml or 1 tbsp chopped jalapeño pepper, or to taste
- 15 ml or 1 tbsp chili powder
- 10 ml or 2 tsp dried oregano
- 5 ml or 1 tsp ground cumin
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 can (540 ml/19 oz) kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 250 ml or 1 cup All-Bran Original* cereal
1. Trim all visible fat from steak. Cut into 2 cm (3/4-inch) cubes. In large heavy saucepan or Dutch oven, over medium heat, heat oil. Add meat and onion; cook until meat is browned, stirring frequently. Stir in garlic; cook for 1 minute.
2. Stir in broth, tomatoes, tomato sauce, jalapeños, chili powder, oregano, cumin and bay leaves. Bring to boil; cover and simmer over low heat for about 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
3. Stir in beans and cereal. Simmer 20 minutes longer. Remove bay leaves before serving.
Yield: 9 servings
29 g Protein
24 g Carbohydrate
6 g Fat
8 g Dietary Fibre
In keeping with good allergy practices, we remind you to be aware of allergens and to check labels on any packaged goods used. This recipe has been tested using Kellogg’s® products. Results with other products may vary.